Monday 21 May 2012

Controversial Cabbage.

It's exactly what it sounds like. Probably.

'Chaz the Spazz' was specifically chosen by me to raise a few eyebrows, maybe ruffle a few feathers - at the very least, for it's catchy title.
People are intrigued in the unknown, in the different, and I suppose to strangers, I'm both in personification.

But for people who do understand, and live with disability first hand or otherwise, a name or title such as 'Spazz' can be quite offensive. My Mother certainly thinks so, and a few friends too.

I like to use it with me, so that people can't use it against me. Sort of a subconsciousness protection thingy.

As you know, I'm all about sense of humour, and making light of situations - disability related at least. Just like Comedian and fellow C.P.-er (Cerebral Palsy) Zach Anner:

"No Atlantis is too underwater or fictional!"
"When life gives you Wheelchair, make Lemonade!"

He's like the American version of me! Only he's taller and has man bits I assume?  I was first introduced to him whilst browsing for comedians on YouTube. Here's that video, you won't be disappointed! 


My point is: Making light of things is I think, the best thing to do in certain situations. But what do you do when the jokes on you, and, whether they mean to or not, you simply cannot laugh it off, and they've gone a step too far.

The above can be said even of people in authoritative positions, such as Parents maybe, or Teachers: I went to a residential college for disabled people, and studied BTEC Performing Arts. I hated the fact that we still had to do Dance even though, WE-WERE-ALL-IN-WHEELCHAIRS(!) 

I did it anyway, I was only rebellious on the weekends.

It was the end of term, and our big end of year Dance exam was just around the corner. This year however, we were to do a 'Collaborative Project' with the fashion students called: 'Fashion-able'

I know. I know.

They were to design our 'Outfits' and we were told to model or dance (whichever we wanted) down the cat-walk.

So sad, but so bloody true!

This wasn't the worst though, oh no! Us Dance students were then split into two groups and assigned the following categories to model:

Group 1: Birds of Prey.

Lovely!

Group 2: VEGETABLES!!!!



Not-so-lovely.


Guess which group I was in....



18 years old.
Don't let the smile fool you, this
Cabbage was boiling with rage.


The staff deemed it perfectly suitable to grade us, disabled teenagers, on just how well we portrayed Vegetables. The worst part for me was having photographic evidence, a photo that will haunt me forever!

It was too late to say anything, the hat was sewn and costumes were fitted - fetching, no?

i think you'll agree: A controversial move from the College, and a rather insulting situation for us.

What do I think about it now?

Well if I were a Sprout, I'd still be just as angry.

Remember, eat your Vegetables!

Chaz
xx






 














5 comments:

  1. Too true. If we can't laugh at ourselves, everyone else will. From one spazz to another, because I do little else all day. Long live the cabbage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woe. How could they do that and be so insensitive?
    I can only imagine the humility you must have felt.
    Reminds me of when I was in school. They weren't very smart about stuff here either. I have a good one for you.
    I am short. Totally vertically challenged. Did anyone think there might be a problem with a one size fits all approach to a unit on bicycling? NO! We (girls) were all given the exact same size boys' bikes. They were all the biggest bikes. I managed only as far as the first patch of sand and down I went. Pretty sure the handle bars went right through me. They hit me smack dab in the middle of my abdomin just under my rib cage. I spent the afternoon throwing up and shaking. To this day, I am not fond of bicycles or bicycling.
    I love your spirit. I think you have spunk and character. And I thank Oy VA Goy for hooking us up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Nellie!! & Laura you make me laugh "long live the cabbage!" - do you remember doing that too? :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is another comic with CP named Mike Aronin, that if you can ever see, do it. He is hilarious and awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very good friend of mine at secondary school (Hi Pete Stevens!) had cerebral palsy. On our first meeting I unwittingly called him a 'spaz' & he punched me (extremely strongly!) in the jaw. We still soon became the firmest of friends. I note that in the US the word has a far-less taboo connotation; re: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spastic#United_States

    He was an exceptional student & went on to university (always using a typewriter). Receiving handwritten post (letters, postcards, etc.) over the years has been exceeding 'fun' to read/translate.

    The UK has a national CP charity that used to be titled 'The Spastics Society' but has since been renamed 'Scope': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scope_(charity)

    There is also a fantastic female stand-up/comic actor in the UK called Francesca Martinez who has worked with the likes of Ricky Gervais: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francesca_Martinez

    Good luck with your blog & other future works & POWER TO THE SPAZZES!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete