Tuesday 1 May 2012

"Inspirational Patronisation."

As you may or may not have noticed, I've recently changed the design on my Blog: I feel the logo is more apt for my kind of writing, and to the people who can relate to it.

 

Unfortunately, I cannot take the credit for such a brilliant image. The image was founded & created by siblings: Annie & Stevie Hopkins. 
Their aim is help people understand disability a little more, and to help those who have a disability, to embrace it! 
To find out more about them and just why this image has inspired so many people, go to: http://www.3elove.com/

Personally, I fell in love with it instantly, and even got a tattoo on my wrist! ---->
Inspiration is a fickle thing though isn't it? What one person may class as an inspirational figure, act or achievement, another may find simple or mundane. 

Take me for instance - I'm serious, sometimes I'm a daily inspiration! Apparently they just can't fathom how I muster the "courage" to wake up every single day and "be happy" with my life? Surely not! - This also makes me very brave too in case you didn't know.

But what do you say or do when someone genuinely thinks they're being kind, and taking the time to talk to me is just their good deed for the day? 

If I happen to 'inspire' some complete stranger, who let's say, is in their mid 20's+ This is what would happen: 
They come over with a sympathetic smile, crouch down to my level (because apparently, if you're in a wheelchair, you cant hear anything or anyone that stands higher than your head!) and the conversation begins:

Stranger: "I hope you don't mind me saying so but: I see you every other day coming along here     in your buggy, and you're always smiling - I think you're amazing - such an inspiration!"

Me: "It's a Wheelchair."

Stranger: "Pardon?"

Me: It's not a Buggy It's actually a Wheelchair." 

Stranger: "...Of course it is, Good for you!"

Stranger: [cont'd]: "Must go. See you soon!"

Me: [mumbled]: Hope not.

Stranger: "Pardon?"

Me: "Bye!"

If they were older, lets say OAP, the conversation would be brief or it would just be a phrase said to me in passing. Either way, I'm equally as inspiring to them. But the only way they seem to respond is through what I like to call "Friendly Patronisation"

Here are just some of the phrases or ' Friendly Patronisation' I hear on a daily basis: 

  • "Mind me' toes love!"
  • "Don't run me over"
  • "You got a license for that thing! haha!"
  • "Good for you love!"
  • "Race ya!"
  • "Oh I could do with one of them, let me have a go!"


& my personal favourite:

  • "No speeding!"


I don't know about you but I can't be rude to old people, even if I have heard those lines a thousand times I still smile. You've gotta respect your elders right!

The only thing I've ever done that was even remotely brave was audition for the X Factor last year! That's right folks, Tay & I auditioned as a duo called: "4x4!" 

Unfortunately, the world wasn't ready for the brilliance that was 4x4, so we didn't even make it passed the first round - Hilarious! 
Frankly, we can't be arsed to do it again. We did however, make a video diary of the day (but not of our audition!):
  



Be inspired by real people, people who've changed history - people like:

Rosa Parks. (above) Rosa refused to give up her bus seat to a White passenger after being ordered to do so by the driver. By standing her ground and refusing, Rosa helped bring an end to the racial segregation in the 50's. 

Or

Oskar Schindler (above) is credited with saving thousands of Jewish people's life during the Holocaust in World War 2, by employing them in his enamelware & ammunitions factories. He did this with no regard for his own life, despite how dangerous it could've been for him.

(Facts & Pictures provided by Wikipedia.org)

This isn't the wittiest Blog I've ever written, nor the cleverest, but it's all true - Don't be inspired by me or by any other disabled person for that matter.

Unless of course, it's Stephen Hawking - let's face it, he's a bit smart!

I wish people would stop coming up to me on the street though, All I want to do is get to Morrison's for some Tampons & a Chocolate Bar!  

Chaz!
x

4 comments:

  1. How about next time, work up an evil sinister face and laugh and brace yourself like you are going to run over their toes. Oh. My bad. Just thinking about it makes me laugh. I bet they'd never say another dumb thing like that again.
    But, seriously people do say the dumbest things. Funerals are a great place to find people saying ignorant things like, "he's in a better place now".
    I like the logo too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound like a good idea, note to self: work on sinister face! :) and completely agree about the whole - "he's in a better place now." But that might just be because of nerves or awkwardness? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard some dumb things, all of them. How about we inspire them enough to publish our books. That would be a real achievement. Then I at least could change my blog name.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the logo! You should copyright it and make people pay to use it.

    And then say to them, "How's *that* for inspiring?" ;)

    ReplyDelete