Thursday 10 May 2012

'That London!'

How do I describe the best weekend of my life?

That London.


I've been to London thousands of times to see show, after show, after show - but every time I'd have to leave early or rush back to get the last train home. Thankfully though, this time was different.

Some people say they feel smog and or hostility of London as soon as they step off the train, like they've been thrust into the rat race and it's every man for themselves, they say it's filthy and unwelcoming. I agree, but only partly.

Mostly, I feel the buzz & I see the dream chasers, It feels like home, and this weekend is no exception.

This was our first time away together, even though we've been living together for the past two years, and been together for the last three.
This was no special occasion, just one night away & tickets to a concert - and not just any concert....

I'm a HUGE fan of Rockabilly singer Imelda May and have been to see her twice before, but never at The Royal Albert Hall. 

To say I was excited would be a little more than an understatement! 

My partner Tay & I finally arrived in London after a two hour train journey, and made our way to the Hotel in Kensington. 

Whenever I'm in town, I always keep my eye out for celebs - I can't help it, it's like a reflex now, it's drummed into my senses!

This time however, I simply wasn't prepared: 


Tay and I were deep in conversation and almost at our hotel, when I noticed someone come out of a restaurant just as soon as we came passed it, yes that's right - it was Mr Michael Barrymore! 

I'd already picked up speed and momentum in my chair, and as usual Tay was hitching a ride. 
We got closer to him and said hi, Michael stopped thinking we'd want a picture, trouble is we just carried on going! It really wasn't intentional honest!! 



....Sorry Mike.



The rest  of the evening went without a hitch, oh and the hotel! - did I mention it was a four star?

We ate what I think is possibly the best Chinese EVER! - I wanted to steal the chopsticks but I thought better of it and stole the 'complimentary' hotel toiletries instead! 












We finally arrive at the Albert Hall in anticipation and take to our seats. We bought our tickets late unfortunately, so our view was a little higher than I would've liked! 
<-----








The gig was amazing though, and after 2 and a half hours of waiting at the stage door, we finally got to meet her - and the entire band!!!







Darrel - Guitarist and all round 'Big Bad Handsome Man'
aka Imelda's husband.


Tay lost his pen, Imelda kindly (& literally) pointed out
that it was on his crotch!




She was lovely, and though you can't tell from the blurred picture - I completely swooned over her husband!

We got back from the concert after waiting at the stage door for hours. it was now early hours of the morning and I fancied a drink - it's rude not to order room service in a four star hotel right? 

2:00am Saturday morning:

Staff: "Hello room service?"

Me: "Yes hello, is that room service?"

Staff: "Yes."

Me: "It is?"

Staff: "Yes."

Me: "Oh good um, can I order some room service please?"

Staff: "Yes."

Me: "Do you have drinks?"

Staff: "....Yes"

Me: "Can I have two please?"

Staff: "Which ones?"

Me: "Just a Sprite & a Red Bull please."

Staff: "I'll send it up Madam"

Me: Thanks. We're in room 'M31'

Staff: "I know."

Me: "You do?"

Staff: "Yes."

Me: "Brilliant, see you in a mo'"

I hang up the phone and turn around, Tay is doubled over with the laughter he's been trying to contain for the duration of my phone call. He mimicked me for the remainder of the night: "Do you have drinks?" 

I deserved it, of course they had drinks - I just didn't want to assume.

The next day we were up early to make the most of our full day in London. We visited the National History Museum, and I fell in love with the fact that almost every taxi in London was wheelchair accessible - every Cripp should move here, though it seems you'd do need a couple million pounds to do so. 

...I'm working on it.

Our last pitt stop before we headed home had to be Harrods. - It's the place to go to feel poor. I've never seen such a place!
Out of curiosity, I picked up the smallest bag and asked the salesman how much it was... it was £800!!! mind you, it was B-E-A-UTIFUL!!! 

We had spend three hours on one floor - there were four more to get through!

Maybe next time. 

My favourite part of Harrods had to be the Doorman in their green suits, they're so friendly and helpful, When I came out frazzled and desperate for advice like "Where are your normal shops???" Nigel was there... with a smile?















Nigel, we salute you.

Best weekend ever.

I love that London!


Chaz!
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment